How Do I Know if Sonography School is Right for Me?
Going to school to learn sonography is an excellent way to begin a specialized, professional career in the field of health care. But why choose sonography over other options?
- You’ll know sonography school is the right choice if the idea of helping people in a medical setting appeals to you, yet you are uncomfortable with the types of tasks performed by health care specialists that work much more closely with patients, such as nurses. Not everyone can stomach the exposure to bodily fluids and intimate patient care involved with nursing. You may also be uncomfortable with the physical demands that are placed on people in other health care careers like paramedics, physical therapists and occupational therapists, where lifting and/or rehabilitation of people is your daily work.
- You’ll know sonography school is the right choice for you if you are an analytical person, with strengths in math and science. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics says that a background in math or science is very helpful for sonographers, mainly because of the technological side of their job.
- You’ll know sonography school is right for you if you are a person who enjoys staying up to date with the very latest technology. Sonography is constantly growing and improving with advances in equipment and techniques. There are even online communities that exist because of their members’ united interest in the science and technology behind medical ultrasound.
- You’ll know sonography school is right for you if you think it is important to further your education in your field, even after you’ve earned your degree. To keep your status as a registered diagnostic medical sonographer, a vital credential given by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography, you must earn continuing education credits to ensure you are keeping abreast of the latest technological advancements in your field.
- You’ll know sonography school is right for you if you enjoy providing one-on-one care for people.
- You’ll know sonography school is right for you if you are interested in diagnostics. Sonograms are used both in early detection and to help diagnose what patients’ symptoms might be stemming from. You might be the first one to find a potentially cancerous mass, identifying it for the patient’s physician.
- You’ll know sonography school is right for you if you want to be a vital member of a health care team.